Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Alas the….rrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngg….journey begins

Funny, just as I was about to start this post, my phone rings. Literally, as I am putting my fingers to the keys, BAM! That is annoying. Really. Doesn’t it seem like that happens a lot? You finally get to the point of being ready to do something and an interruption occurs which just puts that original activity on hold entirely. How often does that happen and affect us without us even realizing it?

How about those times when you finally get the kids to bed, the miscellaneous things completed that have been needing completion, get the dvd player setup, sound check, color adjustment on the widescreen, all the remotes in an orderly pile next to your bucket of noshes, you just heard that wonderful THX surround sound intro and your significant other decides that it is THE time to have that long overdue discussion about what so and so did at work today. Ok, so that is overblown a bit and quite honestly very cliche. That is NEVER the case in my world. (I think she may actually be reading this) Did I miss the accent back there?

Truthfully though, I often find myself caught in a strange place that makes me cringe when it happens. It is usually when I am with my daughters and we may be having a discussion, maybe snacking, watching t.v, even putting them to bed. The phone is in my pocket, on the fridge, on the mantle, wherever. It rings and I have to respond either to send it to voicemail, or answer it. 99% of the time I am sending it to voicemail and that’s all. But just the act of having to respond to it at all, to look as though I am putting whoever is on that line ahead of my daughters makes me sick. I know what some of you are saying. Well, at least the 2 of you that are reading this. Your saying “TURN OFF YOUR PHONE”. Easier said than done.

What’s even scarier is that my 2 year old will often tell me that the phone is ringing and that I should get it, though not in so many words of course. It usually sounds something along the lines of “Daddy, phone. Phone Daddy. Phone Daddy. UH OH, Phone Daddy!” Often accompanied by, but not exclusively, a sort of 2 year old’s interpretation of the Cabbage Patch, maybe? Not totally sure. Arms moving in a horizontal circular type motion? Check, kinda. Elbows tucked in at sides? Check, sorta. Silly expression on face? ABSOLUTELY. WOW! It is the Cabbage Patch. Kid’s got skills. Oops, I mean, skeeelz, yo!

I’m off. No doubt I’ll be interrupted prior to accomplishing something else vitally important in my life. Wouldn’t it be nice if those interruptions came when you’re neighbor down the block is asking you to help move the Pleather sectional couch he just scored from his brother-in-law moving to Paducah? Yeah, 2nd floor, July 3rd, 95 degrees at 7pm. Oh hooray for the red white and blue.



Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fellow coffee nut? Glad to hear it.