Friday, March 21, 2008

Wonder Pets and Cheerios

Well, it is Good Friday. I will be home with my 2 year old this morning and I can hear it now.
"Watch Wonder Pets Daddy. Watch Wonder Pets." For those of you without children, congratulations and you're lucky. This is the show that my lovely child is hooked on. Right now. Tomorrow it may change, last week it was different. The concept:
3 school pets, a turtle, a baby chick and a gerbil or hamster (who knows) are summoned on a regular basis, through a phone, to go rescue much larger animals from peril. Example: A baby elephant is trapped in some mud. They have to go fly to him in their quickly assembled fly machine consisting of an upside down frisbee, some cloth sail, 2 marker caps as "jets" and some toy wheels. When they get there, through the power of teamwork, a simple lever, and some horrible animation technique, they are able to free the Pachyderm without much fanfare. 3 animals weighing no more than 3 pounds collectively.
Actually, the interesting thing is that kids today have SO much more to watch on t.v than we did. I know, I know. I sound like my parents. Pathetic but bear with me here. When we were kids, you really only had a few channels to choose from as far as kid's entertainment. We're not talking about THAT long ago. 70's and 80's. Our house did not have cable back then and even if it did, if I remember correctly Nickelodeon had just started as I was in late grade school. Either way, at a younger age, Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, (watch out, here comes a relic) The Electric company, and maybe a few others that are caught in the cobwebs of my brain at the moment, were really the only thing available for little little kids.
It's interesting to watch my child when it comes to what she likes on t.v. Mr. Rogers is still on, Sesame Street is as well. Once in a while she will go with Mr. Rogers but you can almost tell that it isn't quite stimulating enough for her brain that is used to the overload of noise and visuals she gets from modern day programming. Sesame Street has definitely withstood the test of time and certainly updates it's themes to remain current with the Pop Culture. All the while delivering us that tried and trusted stop animation technique that was the norm of almost all of their inter-cut videos like the "letter of the day" etc. It's great watching a nice racially mixed group of 3 to 6 year olds rap with some monsters about recycling and protecting the earth. That's about as real as a turtle, hamster, and a baby chick freeing an elephant from the muck.

No comments: